Wednesday, September 12, 2012

I grew a green thumb this summer and I loved it. Among the various things that grew in my garden a few survived all the summer months and might carry onto the fall. (Fingers crossed.)

This is something I didn't expect to grow at ALL. My favorite vegetable (fruit) in the world. Okra. They are still growing my my garden. Haven't tried making them yet. i'm really waiting to see how big they can get most are at least 6 inches which is huge for that vegetable. 

My all time favorite herb Basil grew up to 4 feet from a measly 7 inches. That miracle grow worked wonders. I can't say I used it a lot this summer but my mom and a few family members did. I mean two 4 feet plants is more than enough for a lot of people to crank out their home made pizza or pasta dish. 


Eggplants are another awesome plant I grew this year, and which was one of my moms Favorite. She wasn't the most patient person when she saw them growing up to 10OZ each. She would invent an eggplant dish every day!! One minuet there would be none then then very next minuet I was able to harvest 4 or 5 of them from this one plant. Felt like a real live Farmville in my back yard!


Tomatoes was the big winner of them all. I had one plant that grew 7 feet tall and about 6 feet wide in less than a month. Once my mom saw how quickly the tomatoes grew she stopped shopping for them and made her own tomato paste, puree, and sauce. Not so sure how this plant will last during the fall but it was good while it lasted. 

Here is a bag full of what she collects in a weeks time. The cucumber was store bought not part of my garden. Althought I might end up planting that too next year. 

And lastly we have Green peppers. I bought a rainbow of peppers that all grew to store bought sizes. It was also another plant that grew up to 2 1/2 fee from a small pot. There was no reason to shop for produce this summer with my green thumb going hay wire. And the best thing about planting was the outcome. My mom was extremely happy with the amount of produce that produced out there!!!


Other items that I planted were:
Carrots :(Never grew)
Starberries (grew but never stood a chance with my neighbors)
Pears ( the tree grew up to 5 feet but only produced baby pears) 
Thyme ( still there and loving it)
Oregano ( didn't last with the tomato monster growing lol)
Rosemary ( great plant and wonderful in most of my chicken or steak dishes)
Watermelon ( started to grow then kids got to it)

I will do this again next year with more experience and a greener thumb. But till then I have to figure out what to do for the fall!!


Tagged: , , , , , ,

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Hours and Restaurant Deals © 2013 | Powered by Blogger | Blogger Template by DesignCart.org